The past few days have been extremely tiring—mainly because we have class beginning at 9am for two hours and then the world’s longest siesta until 7:30. It wouldn’t be so bad if all of us weren’t hellbent on exploring Barca and if all of us weren’t so cheap that we didn’t want to have to use 4 metro rides rather than 2 in a day. Yesterday, Amanda, Christina, and I took a very long walk in between classes and nearly died later in the day from exhaustion. Today we all had grand plans to visit the Joan Miró Foundation but when everyone met this morning for class, we all agreed that our time would be better spent in our apartments, napping. …..and that’s exactly what I did! Joan Miró is definitely a priority while I’m here, so I know I’ll visit his museum sometime in the near future. I’m just overjoyed that tomorrow will be the last day that I have to wake up obscenely early for my language class!
In other news, I’ve been learning more and more about my host mom (slowly but surely…language barriers are tough). I’ve made it my mission to learn about all of the students who’ve stayed with her before me. Today I learned of the various boys she’s hosted, but nothing more than the usual “he was nice” “Mike was really tall and played American football,” etc. Ideally she would tell me the really hilarious things that I’m sure have come up all too often due to the cultural differences. She did tell me about one student she had, who was very overweight. It was more of a miserable story—apparently this girl nearly ate Fina out of house and home, but Fina didn’t have the heart to call the program to have her switched. Fina said that no one in the program wanted to be her friend. Can you imagine being in a foreign country, where you know that you’re definitely being judged and you can’t even find reprieve with those from your native country? I’m so glad that isn’t my problem; not to sound callous, but I’ve made some great friends! I find it pretty amusing that some of them are from Bryn Mawr—girls that I’ve seen fairly often over the past three years or so, but never spoke to. It will be pretty exciting to go to Andalucía this weekend; I kind of miss all of us being together like we were in the hotel.
Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment